"It's a preemie thing, don't let my size fool you!" - Hudson
I saw this saying recently and have heard it before too..."you will never truly understand something until it actually happens to you"
Well, I thought I understood what a BRADY was until I witnessed Hudson have two of them today. I'm 30 but after today I feel like I've aged years. I knew going in this morning that he had four more Brady's during the night shift. I knew the definition of a Brady, so therefore I thought I understood it. Hudson was having a fairly decent morning, the doctors rounded and then he started getting really fussy. He then proceeded to scream and carry on...I cupped his legs and arms and spoke softly for him to calm down...well he took me way too literal! His alarm went off and I looked up and saw his heart rate had dropped and looked back and him and started rubbing his foot. His heart rate came back up and then he did a repeat about 15 minutes later but needing more stimulation the next time. He was fine for the rest of the day. It was like he was so exhausted from crying and carrying on that he just needed a break from breathing and it happened.
Highlights from today:
- Hudson had gained a whole half ounce! He's now 3 lbs 5.5 oz:)
- He did get to do kangaroo care with me today for a little over 2 hours!
- Daddy came to hang out with Hudson this afternoon/evening!
- His food was increased to 6ml.
- To decrease the air on his belly, they are now feeding him every 3 hours over 90 minutes so the other time the air can escape through the feeding tube.
- He was wide eyed today for long periods of time:)
- He got 2 new books today! Dora's spooky adventures and a Scooby Doo book.
- His chest x-ray looked better than yesterday!
- He got to pee on more cotton balls today! (a part of the clinical study he is participating in)
- He was either really gassy today or happy to his Mommy and Daddy today...I'm going with he was smiles at Ben and I:)
Hudson, Ben and I continue to take each day moment by moment and try not to get too far ahead of ourselves...because when we do...Hudson reminds us he's a preemie with a reality check! But, nonetheless Hudson will be 4 weeks tomorrow and my goodness how far he's come!!! He amazes us every day...
Thank you for your continued thoughts, prayers, emails, fb messages and cards! I tell Hudson about the messages his "fans" send him and how much they love him! He seems to like it when I talk to him about them...or maybe I just put him to sleep when I talk...either way thank you it really means a lot to us!